Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Where is your hope?

Today, as we've heard over and over again, history was made. And indeed it was. A new president. A new day. A new change. While I personally don't agree with all that I feel our new president stands for, I still respect the office and am proud to be an American. I will continue to pray for our country and our president. I pray God gives him wisdom and that he surrounds himself with Godly influences. I have hope. Hope that tomorrow will be brighter than today. Hope that our country will depend and rely on God. I think of the old song...My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness. I dare not trust the sweetest frame, But wholly lean on Jesus’ Name . On Christ the solid Rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand; All other ground is sinking sand.

Growing up in the delta region of the great state of Arkansas, I witnessed many racial differences and separations. I don't feel that those specific issues were a part of our family personally, but simply were due to the region and perhaps the time. It was just as it was, and could still be that way I'm not sure, I've been gone for 20+ years. While I feel that our country as come a long way in overcoming those separations in electing a black president, I think we still have a long way to go. When Americans start calling themselves simply Americans without any other racial qualifiers, then perhaps we will have really gotten somewhere in this journey of change. Still yet, I have hope and I can be glad because my hope is in the Lord.

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ Name.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh may I then in Him be found.
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

No comments: