Sunday, July 20, 2008

Everyday Miracles?

Do you ever feel like you’re continuing life as always? Business as usual? Same ole same ole? Don’t you imagine that Peter felt that way? Fishing again, on this boat again, Day in day out, I fish. It’s not that I don’t enjoy it, I do. It’s just routine. I know what to expect. I have this all figured out. Then one day, Jesus, who is a carpenter by the way, tells Peter, the fisherman, to do something he’s been doing…all night…”push out into deep water and let your nets out for a catch”. Peter, being just like us, has to state the obvious and says…”Master, we’ve been fishing hard all night and haven’t caught even a minnow. But if you say so, I’ll let out the nets.” No sooner said than done—a huge haul of fish, straining the nets past capacity. They yelled to their partners for help and they filled both boats until they were beginning to sink. (Luke 5:4-6 NKJ, MSG)

Isn’t that just like Jesus? We’re living life as usual, going to work, being a mom or dad, doing laundry, dealing with “stuff” and He comes in and says…why don’t you go to work, be a mom, do the laundry, deal with “stuff”? And we being all so wise think…what’s so great about that? That’s what I always do. In fact, I’ve been doing that forever and well…I haven’t even caught a minnow. Do we continue as Peter and say “nevertheless, at Your word”, I’ll do it? Or do we grumble and complain that life is routine, same ole same ole? Are we as Peter was? Just one regular, routine, average day or simple, obedient action away from a miracle? To our boats or lives filled to capacity? Do we miss what Christ has for us because we’re continuing life as usual and miss the adventure He has for our lives?

As I look out at the ocean with abundant life everywhere, I wonder what Christ has for me, for you. I know He has so much more that we are missing. It’s not that we don’t want it, for we do. We just get caught up with business as usual and miss the very fact that Jesus performed miracles in the very ordinary…as ordinary as a job of a fisherman casting his nets. Peter had to continue casting his nets to bring in the treasure. I hope that on days when life is habitual, tedious, and predictable that you and I remember that Jesus performs everyday miracles for those of us who are continuing business as usual. ~ST

No comments: